Saturday, May 30, 2009

The Sounds of Love

Most of my friends know that I have been going through a serious romantic drought for quite a while now. Some of it stems from a self imposed relationship vacation but, if I’m honest about it, most of it comes from a lack of opportunity and effort on my part. While having a romance appeals to me in theory, I don’t mind my own company and I’m getting a lot of sleep.

I have been giving it more thought lately. What do I ultimately want? The flowers, dinners, concerts, vacations, walks, talks and the ever popular sex are great benefits but they don’t always translate into genuine love or even like. I decided that this time around I would go for the real thing – not romantic posturing but genuine love.

I can’t say if I will ever find that special someone. I don’t know exactly what genuine love will look like but I certainly know what it sounds like. I hear it every day from my friends and family. And, since I’m a compulsive list maker I started a list of the sounds of love I’m already hearing…


You make me smile.

I understand.

What do you need?

I trust you.

You can do this.

How can I help?

Be careful.

Call me when you get there.

You are the smartest person I know.

You deserve to be happy, too.

I forgive you.

I’m sorry.

I’m proud of you.

I’ll be there.

I couldn’t have done it without you.

I need you in my life.

Thank-you.

I care about what happens to you.

Don’t go.

I’ll go with you.

You inspire me.

I don’t want to disappoint you.

I remember.

Yes.

No.


I may be on a romantic diet but I am certainly surrounded by genuine love every day. What was I so worried about?

3 comments:

Christy said...

I like your 'list'....it's my favorite past time-list. Mine usually involve hopes, dreams, and daily activities, but what a nice way to keep track of all the love that keeps you grounded in the knowledge that there may be droughts in some areas of your life, but there are some pretty fabulous gardens of love in areas that never wither!

Anonymous said...

You are loved by many, in part because of the love you show to others. You are honest and supportive and a good listener. You believe in people and let them know that. You show your love to people at the risk of your own heart. It's who you are, and we all hope that never changes.

Patricia said...

I like your list. It's nice that we're wise enough now to realize that those are sounds of love, and romance isn't necessarily it -- or at least not entirely.